What’s the difference between a home theatre and home cinema – and which one is right for you?
What is a home theatre or media room?
Your home theatre, also called a media room, is designed to bring an exceptional viewing experience to your home. Plan to enjoy blockbuster movies like never before. And there’s so much more!
There’s nothing like watching the Super Bowl, Olympics, or any other major event with your buddies in unbelievable high definition – in the comfort of your own home. Or, seeing your favourite artist perform in concert, as you relish both the audio and visual qualities.
With a quality home theatre, you will be engulfed in an amazing, heightened experience. Pinch yourself. You’re really there!
Here at Residential Technology Systems, we typically consider the home theatre or media room to have these characteristics:
- As a multipurpose media room, the home theatre is a casual entertaining space that serves as a place to watch movies and TV as well as listen to music. Plus, this space may double as your living room, family room or den.
- It is designed to bring a heightened visual experience to your home, as you enjoy sports events, movies, concerts and more.
- Often, the home theatre consists of a large, flat-panel television; a multi-channel, surround-sound speaker system; a high-definition AV receiver and Blu-ray player. (Note that you don’t want “big sound” with a small picture or vice versa!)
In terms of technology, your home theatre or media room would typically include:
- A video display: either a flat-panel video monitor or a projector with video screen.
- Speakers located throughout the room to blend into your décor and complement your existing seating. Upgrade to theatre seating with motion-activated chairs, so you feel as though you are in the movie!
- Lighting fixtures to support all AV needs. One aspect of lighting control is the use of motorised window treatments, which control the room’s ambient light and enhance your viewing experience.
We recognise the importance of blending a high-performance home theatre with your décor. In fact, we are experts at making technology invisible. We know you want to enjoy your décor as it was designed by your architect and room designer – with no technology clutter. That’s why we conceal speakers, projectors, screens and monitors as much as possible. We even locate technology elsewhere in the house.
Here are some of our customers’ favourite features for blending high-performance home theatre technology with the décor:
- We can install high-quality, in-ceiling and in-wall speakers, which can be nearly invisible when painted with matching paint.
- We can hide a large flat screen behind artwork, which can be motorised.
- We can install a large retractable projection screen.
Our qualified technical designers will listen to all your wants and needs, discuss your lifestyle and
team with you to create a well-designed home theatre or media room. Chances are, it will
become your family’s favourite room!
What is a home cinema?
Without exception, the home cinema is a room that is 100% dedicated to a superb audio and video experience. The home cinema has these characteristics:
- Does not double as a living room, family room or den.
- Is designed using a highly detailed process to provide the best experience within your space, with the goal of perfect audio and visual presentation.
- Incorporates sound suppression and acoustical treatments to achieve correct and natural sound.
As a dedicated space to view movies, sporting events, and concerts, the home cinema is designed to deliver the ultimate home-entertainment experience, with the highest quality experience possible.
Typically, your dedicated home cinema room would include the following advanced technology and features:
- A projector and large screen – The “4K” high-performance video projector offers twice the resolution of today’s Blu-ray movies’ 1080p. The video screen can be fixed on a wall, or it can be a curved, motorised screen that automatically adjusts the aspect ratio for high-definition television broadcasts (such as ESPN sports events) or Blu-ray movies in wide-screen format. Of course, we’ll ensure the screen is located at the correct viewing height and optimal distance from the seats. Speaking of seating, our highly comfortable home theatre seats can be placed in multiple rows with seating risers. They can even be motorised to put you “in” the movie!
- Acoustic design and premium products for balanced audio, while feeling that you are part of the action! – We will precisely locate speakers for accurate playback of multi-channel soundtracks, either for 7.1 or 9.1 speaker configurations. This represents the highest level of audio performance possible (versus a 5.1 media room system). In addition, all components are high-performance “separates,” assuring sophistication, quality and reliability. The audio is always pure and there is never any feedback.
- Environmental controls – As a dedicated space, we will assure your home cinema has the utmost in environment control: carefully designed lighting, advanced temperature controls and automated shading solutions (darken the room to be nearly pitch black).
- Noise-isolating construction techniques and noise-reducing treatments of the room – It all starts with the room! During construction, we install sound-deadening insulation, special sheet rock, and many other techniques and products – large and small – are employed to dampen noise, deaden vibration and create perfect sound (no gymnasium-like echo chamber!). The goal is to design a perfectly tuned acoustical environment.
- Theme-based design to bring your vision to life! – Want a nostalgic Wrigley Field theme? Would you love a Hollywood Walk of Fame theme, featuring stars galore? Speaking of stars, would you like to watch your favourite, glamorous movie stars under a star-lit ceiling (thanks to fibre optics)? We’re happy to team with you and your designer to personalise your home cinema. Make your dream room come true!
Home theatre or home cinema: Which one is right for you?
The ideal solution depends on your wants, needs, available space, budget and other considerations. Call us to schedule a complimentary, in-depth consultation – and a showroom tour at the Mingle Design Centre. We look forward to meeting you!
Residential Technology Systems
12955 Highway 55
Plymouth, MN 55441
Residential Technology Systems designs and installs automated home technology systems, including Home Audio Systems, Home Theatre Systems, and Home Security Systems. Located in Plymouth, Minnesota, ResTech Systems provides quality service and “smart” technology solutions to residential customers throughout central Minnesota including Minneapolis, St. Paul, and the metro Twin Cities region as well as those who have vacation homes in the Brainerd Lakes Area or second homes anywhere in the country.
© 2013 Residential Technology Systems. All rights reserved worldwide.